|Summer Away at MYONGJI (SAM)|
There are two special summer programs at Myongji University.
1. English Instructor's Internship Program (EIIP)
2. Summer Away at Myongji (SAM)
◈ The EIIP offers teaching internship experience to partner institutions' qualified students passionate in teaching English language! The EIIP classes are designed to improve English language skills of Korean and other non-native students through intensive English speaking and writing courses. The interns will be able to experience teaching English to non-natives and also interact with the class students through various cultural exchange opportunities.
◈ SAM allows students to experience contemporary and traditional Korean cultures through hands-on activities in the heart of Seoul. Korean buddy students (International Outreach Students, OULAMI) will reside in the dormitory with the international students and lead all the cultural excursions, allowing international students to really experience Korean youth life and befriend Korean students. It also provides credit-bearing Korean/English language courses!
Many participants of SAM have returned to Myongji.
◈ PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Myongji Summer Away (SAM) is a specially designed credit-bearing 2 and a half week-long program for international students who want to learn practical Korean/English language or enhance their language proficiency and experience Korean contemporary and traditional culture. Instead of just sitting in standardized lectures in classrooms, cultural excursions, interaction with Korean students and participation-required hands-on activities will enhance the knowledge and understanding of Korean cultures, customs and current social trends. At the same time, by residing with the local students during the whole program period, international students get to befriend Korean students and live the Korean youth’s hot and hip daily lives!
- Issued class credits: 3 credits (52 hours)
- Activities: Cultural Excursions (Korean palace, museum, cooking, performance show,
traditional market and more) & Club Activities taught by Myongji University students
- Special features: Myongji International Outreach Student Club buddy members will reside in the dormitory
and interact with the international students 24/7, which allows international students to experience
the essence of young culture in Korea.
- Eligibility: All University or College students or 2016 graduates
1) Intermediate Korean Language (for those who wish to upgrade their Korean language proficiency rapidly)
2) Beginner Korean Language + Lectures regarding Korean Society and Culture in English(may vary)
3) Advance English Language
4) Intermediate English Language
5) Beginner English Language
※ Free text books provided.
※ English courses are taught by native speakers.
※ Other Korean students will study with the international students in English language courses.
- 2016. 8. 4 ~ 2016. 8. 19 (must check-in the dormitory on Aug 3 and check-out on Aug 20)
- Opening Ceremony: 2016. 8. 4
- Closing Ceremony: 2016. 8. 19
※ Early check-in and late check-out is not allowed.
- Dormitory housing fee - Meal cost - Transportation fee
- Travel Insurance - Livingcost
◈ PROGRAM SCHEDULE
- Welcoming Party - Textbooks - Official T-shirt
- Farewell Party - Airport Pick-up service (for those who pay tuition)
At the opening ceremony, students from different universities will have a moment to introduce themselves.
At the closing ceremony, all students are obligated to either show video clips of their own national
culture or perform a dance, song or any other traditional custom. National costumes are very welcomed.
- Classes are held five days a week (Monday ~ Friday)
- Each class is three hours long
- Korean language classes are conducted in two levels: beginner and intermediate
- English language classes are conducted in three levels: beginner, intermediate and advance
During the orientation, below factors will be covered
- Overall program introduction
- Guideline to textbooks, course syllabus and teaching methods
- Campus guide
- Introduction to cultural excursions
- Education in accepting different cultures
- Class attendance check regulations
- Other relevant information regarding the program
- Insurance guidelines (if you are to register for one in Korea)
- Introduction to Club Activities
- Self-introduction of all students
- Welcoming Luncheon
During the closing ceremony, below factors will be covered
- Future process after students return to their home countries
- Students’ presentation on their home country and university
- Participating students’ K-POP and Taekwondo performance and Korean calligraphy/artwork exhibition
- Farewell Party
◈ APPLICATION PROCESS
※ Early check-in & late check-out are not allowed due to other programs held at Myongji University.
◈ PROGRAM & DORMITORY FEES
- Program fee: 900,000 KRW (1,100,000 KRW for non-partner universities)
- Application fee: 100,000 KRW (non-refundable, waived for semester/year-long exchange students)
- Seoul Campus Dormitory fee:
※ Students can choose to bring their own bed sheet, pillow and blanket.
※ Students must specify the room type in the application file. The room choice cannot be changed afterwards.
※ Students will be asked to pay the dormitory in cash upon arrival.
◈PREVIOUS SAM PICTURES
◈ CONTACT INFORMATION
Ms. Tenny Kim
Inbound Program, Summer Program, Government Project
Program Officer, Office of International Affairs
Rm. 5403, 4F Administration Building
34 Geobukgol-ro, Seodaemun-gu, Seoul 120-728, Korea
*Please refer to separately attached application form files.
*Students MUST TYPE all the contents.
*All application documents (both soft and hard copy) much reach MJU before May 27, 2016.
Office of International affairs, Myongji University, 34 Geobukgol road, Seodaemun-Gu, Seoul, 03674, Korea TEL: 82-2-300-1511~5
Copyright(c) Myongji University, All Right Reserved.